Monday, June 17, 2013

Pain, Testimony, and Life's Lessons

We go through life running on fumes half the time. We get hurt, go through things, and then decide not to address them until things blow up in our faces and we are forced to face things. I wonder how many of us walk through life not addressing things that are bothering us?

I was thinking of this the other day. For some reason, Jesus in the Garden right before the Crucifixion popped into my head. He's knee bent, praying in the garden. The image we see is of him in great suffering. He knows what's getting ready to happen and he's petrified. He's hurt, and I'm willing to bet that this is the first time he has really had a chance to think about the pain he's about to experience. The thing that blows your mind is that he's been prepared for this his entire life. Everything he has every said, has ever done has led to this moment; but even Jesus did not address the thing that hurt him most until he had too - until he was ready. (Matthew 26:38) When he was ready, he got on his knees and prayed. He prayed for God the Father to help him through this pain. (Matthew 26:42) He acknowledged that he has to go through this pain, not for himself, not because he wanted it to, but because it was God's will. Once he acknowledged that it was God's will, he was able to finish his mission. He understood that while he was going through the pain, the lesson wasn't for him, but it was for the people coming after him.

We lose ourselves in the pain when we forget that our pain is our testimony. It is the thing that while we had to go through it, it is the example for someone else of what not to do or of what to do in the situation. We at too many times do not share our stories. The Early Church started because of everyone sharing their stories. Paul was always sharing what he was going through, what he had experienced. He did this to let people know that while he was Paul, this great leader, he was also human. He struggled with his flesh. Paul is famous for talking about his struggles with sin... "For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do." (Romans 7:19) He was constantly using his pain and suffering as encouragement for people. This, I'm willing to bet, helped him come to terms with what he was feeling; the pain he was suffering.

To be honest, this post started off talking about needing to recharge batteries. It started off talking about how there are times in our life where we need to take the time to be by ourselves to recharge our batteries. Maybe the way I needed to recharge my batteries was to think about pain..... Actually sit and think about the stuff I've been going through lately. Pray on it, and figure out what the lesson is behind it.... and Maybe.. just maybe... I'm not the only one who needs to recharge their batteries this way....

Where did you lose you?

I'm going to be transparent. I lost my way. Like many of us we caught up in the everyday hustle - the grind and we forget. We forget who...