Saturday, April 26, 2008

Learning New Things

As we go through life, the question constantly comes up... "Why do I need to know this?" Or better yet "When am I ever going to use that?"

I wonder that for 3 out of 4 classes this semester. However I can tell you that, you need to know what you are being taught. Even the most mundane thing you need to know it.. or at least file it away for memory. Today I learned how to make an atomic bomb. I was sitting in my Energy and Resources claa, when the professor starts to break down how to do it. Now I need to nkow this information because you can't teach what you don't know. How could I be an instructor of technology and not know how one of this world's greatest(take it or leave it) invention was made.

I believe God was trying to teach me a lesson in all of this. I equate this to the apostles going out and preaching. They couldn't preach to the Jews without knowing why the Jews didn't believe that Jesus wasn't the messiah. They (the apostles) had grown up Jewish, and knew the customs and teachings. So they could take examples from what they knew and flip it to show that stuff isn't as far removed as they think. Same thing with Paul and the Gentiles. You wouldn't have initially sent one of the apostles to preach to the gentiles. They wouldn't have known how to relate. So I guess me knowing how to make an atomic bomb, I'm going to be able to use that information to relate to someone.

Just keep that in mind the next time you want to ask the questions "Why do I need to know this?" "When am I ever going to use that?"

Where did you lose you?

I'm going to be transparent. I lost my way. Like many of us we caught up in the everyday hustle - the grind and we forget. We forget who...